Thursday, April 17, 2008

April 17th readings

In chapters 6-10 of Syd Field's "Screenplay."  While doing the reading, I picked up on how his writing style involves the use of so many detailed, lengthy examples.  At first I found this kind of hammering in the point.  For example, when discussing how to go about "Setting Up the Story and how important it is to do so within the first ten pages of a screenplay, he includes within the text the first ten pages of "Chinatown."  Right afterwards, though, he pretty much sums up everything within those ten pages and their relevance.  I eventually and appreciatively realized that this is not only a method of hammering in the point, but of also providing plenty of illustrations by which to help you remember his lessons by.  I know I'll never forget what plot points are because I now know exactly where they are in "American Beauty" and "The Matrix;" two modern and successful films I am familiar enough with.

I can already tell based off of reading the first part of "Save the Cat" by Blake Snyder how much I enjoy his informal style, straight-to-the point, style.  It helps me to stay focused when I feel that the writing is completely focused.  It is reassuring that he's pretty much relaying the same points Field makes in his book because it supports that the rules laid out truly are the golden rules of what makes a screenplay successful. 

No comments: