Monday, April 28, 2008

Star Wars is everywhere (and I don't mind)

Star Wars really is everywhere.


Tonight's episode of the no-skills-needed game show Deal or No Deal was Star Wars themed.  I've never actually watched the show before, but I couldn't miss this event simply because it had to do with Star Wars.  In the episode, the role of the "banker" who offers the contestants a changing cash prize if they choose "Deal" was played by Darth Vader.  A platoon of Stormtroopers as well as a few dozen models dressed as slave girl Leia were the ones holding all the briefcases of money, and special surprise guests included Carrie Fisher, Chewbacca and R2-D2.  The two contestants each had their own stories for how much of an effect Star Wars has had on their lives.

One of the two contestants said that the movie taught her that anything is possible and you can achieve your dreams.  Now, having learned about how Star Wars closely follows all of the classic rules that make a "great" film laid out by the likes of Blake Snyder, it's cool to see that the movie inspires and entertains people so effectively because of its simple story of a nobody who goes on an amazing amazing adventure.

I'm no exception to the masses who have fallen in love with  Star Wars.  I absolutely adore those films, and now I know it is largely due to how they were written in a way that so closely follows the rules of screenwriting.  Those rules truly are for getting a story across that we, being the emotional beings we are, can form a connection with.  This makes the film pure escapism and entertainment, which is why I love it, which is why I don't mind that it is everywhere... my favorite example being from this Japanese television ad from the early 90s featuring George Lucas himself.

No comments: